Recent Blogs show all

Updates

Posted by docbyron on Jul 5th, 2015

Happy 4th to those of you from the US. To everyone else, Happy Saturday.

I've spent the evening making a large number of optimizations behind-the-scenes. This should substantially improve the site's speed under higher loads (especially when browsing), but of course I'll be keeping an eye on it. If you notice any specific pages taking longer than 4 seconds to load, feel free to let me know. It's my goal to make sure it's under 2 seconds site-wide under high load.

Updates

Posted by docbyron on Jul 1st, 2015

I've made a few more optimizations on the back-end that should help with some of the lag. Also removed the delay on cached resources like story text and the dashboard. I'm also loading in tag suggestions differently now, which should give a performance boost.

I've also enabled a 'report' button on stories. If you notice that a story has a bad title or something, use it to notify me. Note that if you have JavaScript disabled or you aren't logged in, you won't even see this tool.

One of the next big things I want to focus on is the story text editor. It's just a default implementation of CKEditor, but if there's anything you'd like to see there, please let me know.

Speed issues

Posted by docbyron on Jun 30th, 2015

Well, the speed issues seem to be returning slightly. Not as bad as yesterday, but still annoying. I'll perform some more optimizations after work.

A note on "missing" stories

Posted by docbyron on Jun 30th, 2015

A lot of stories that seem to be missing were actually just imported with incomplete titles. The recovery script did the best it could with limited information, but it had to guess on a bunch of stories.

Your best bet is to search by author name. Keep in mind that the author might have been in the old version of the Lab under a slightly different name.

If that's not turning up any results, try searching just one word from the title at a time. A bunch of stories, for example, could only be imported based on the filename from the old version of the site. So in the case of Peanutt Butta's "You've Got the Ripe One, Baby!" it was only able to get imported with the title "Ripeone". So, if I were to try to search for this story, searching "ripe one" returns no results, but "ripe" would find it.

A major goal of mine now that the site appears to be running at a good, stable speed is to add in a "Report" tool that will enable users to help me identify these bad imports and suggest the correct title.

Speed fixes are up

Posted by docbyron on Jun 30th, 2015

Hi again,

I've added a number of optimizations to stabilize things. Sorry about the trouble; it's a bit difficult sometimes to know where inefficiencies lie until a site gets a chance to stretch its legs.

For the moment, I've added a 15 minute cache on stories. So, authors, if you make an update to an existing story, you may notice it takes about 15 minutes for that change to actually appear on the site.

Later this week, I'll update the caching to get rid of that delay, but right now my priority is making sure there are no more issues with network speed.

Thanks for your patience!

Newest Stories

Updated Stories

Newest Art

Newest Users